N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

My situation at work is now dealing with the L Ron Hubbard

My situation at work is now dealing with the L Ron Hubbard based veterinary practice solutions, I am a Christian and do not want to take part in any thing associated with his teachings. We are required now to listen in on webinars. During the webinars I can here the mind control in their lessons. We just recently hired a new office manager and she is pushing this as far as she can. They have not said but I think she is from that training. I know the foundation of these seminars, and I do not want to support this in any way at all, but yet I do love my job I have been there for 5 years and am very happy there until now. What can I do and do you have any Christian reference to this. Thank you for you time and help, Joni
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 5 years ago.
What State do you work in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Irvine California

How many employees are there?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there are 15
http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/qanda_religion.html
states:

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits employers with at least 15 employees, as well as employment agencies and unions, from discriminating in employment based on race, color, religion, sex, and national origin.
///
Religious harassment in violation of Title VII occurs when employees are: (1) required or coerced to abandon, alter, or adopt a religious practice as a condition of employment (this type of quid pro quo harassment may also give rise to a disparate treatment or denial of accommodation claim in some circumstances); or (2) subjected to unwelcome statements or conduct that is based on religion and is so severe or pervasive that the individual being harassed reasonably finds the work environment to be hostile or abusive, and there is a basis for holding the employer liable.

What you describe seems to definitely come under #2 and possibly also #1.

Scientology is a religion and your employer cannot make you listen to religious webinars masquerading as secular seminars.

You can get a free consultation from some of the employment discrimination attorneys listed at
http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/Discrimination/Irvine/California

Freedom of religion is enshrined in the US Constitution and no one can force to you go to or not go to a particular church, mosque, synagogue, meeting house or temple, or listen to a sermon, mass, homily or lecture. I assume the office took good care of the animals without any propaganda from the Church of Scientology and does not need it now. I urge you to follow up on this with a local attorney, it sounds like religious harassment as defined by the EEOC.

I hope this information is helpful.

Thank you for accepting my answer.