LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

Is it illegal for men to use womens restroom facilities at

Is it illegal for men to use women's restroom facilities at place of employment, when ample "men's" restrooms are available. As the office manager and a woman I don't want to have to worry about walking into a women's restroom and catching some jerk with his pants around his knees all because he was too lazy to use the 2nd men's room.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®.

I am a licensed attorney and will be glad to try and assist you. To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify this point:

1. What type of property is the office building (private or public)?

Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We are a private office building. There are men and women's restrooms on both floors. I feel that this activity is posing a threat to our female employees.

Thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.

1. I am a licensed attorney with employment experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information.
  2. "I would like to have some Law/Code that I could state that they are in violation of if they keep doing this and subjecting the female employees." Thank you for writing back with the additional information, which was helpful to my analysis of your inquiry. Frankly, I agree with you entirely. This behavior is immature and rather ridiculous. I do not find it one bit funny, and actually I would have to question the motive and/or mental state of those participating in it. However, from a legal perspective I regret to say there is no civil or criminal law in Utah forbidding a person from entering and using a restroom designated for the opposite gender. It is a matter of common courtesy and traditional custom, but surprisingly the law is silent on the point. However, even without a codified law, building management/ownership is entirely free to establish a policy of only using the appropriate facilities. Furthermore, you should not hesitate to contact your local law enforcement authorities in the event of a lewd exposure of private (genital) areas. I would suggest that you share the following citation with the occupants of the building: Utah Code § 76-9-702.
  3. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum. I hope all works out.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.