LawGirl
LawGirl, Lawyer
Experience:  I have practiced employment law.
635143

My husband and I work in one firm. He work for 4 years full-time

My husband and I work in one firm. He work for 4 years full-time and I work for 1 year and 7 months on part-time. In the end of February my manager has informed that the firm doesn't have now orders and consequently it doesn't have for me work on the following of 2-3 weeks. Such sometimes happens at us but for shorter time and after I always came back to my work. But now for that time that I was without work I have found temporarily another and have worked in other place of 2 weeks. On Thursday has returned for my main work and it is barefooted / has told that it has dismissed me... Though we have agreed that that it only off and I will return to my work so always was. Now at office full and employees it is not enough work.
How to me to be? Whether I can receive unemployment benefit or address in court? Or my work in other place for 2 weeks spoils all also anything it is impossible to make? Any advise?

Thank you for your question.

Although I am an attorney, I cannot represent you. However, I will give you the most thorough information I am able.

To the extent that your employer has terminated you, in the absence of a written contract promising you employment for a certain period of time or some other bargaining agreement, it is not likely that you can take your employer to court. Your employer is allowed to terminate employees for any reason that is not illegal or discriminatory based upon an employees age, race, religion, national origin, etc. The fact that they are low on work is a legally valid reason to terminate an employee.

To the extent that you would like to collect unemployment, then you can contact the State to find out what you would qualify for. Generally one can receive unemployment benefits if they have been laid off due to a reduction in work. If you are currently collecting benefits, then you may consider contacting the office to let them know how your work schedule has changed.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this matter or require clarification. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT" so I may receive credit for my efforts.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me with beginning your question with "For LawGirl..."

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your answer.

And how to me to be with two weeks work (I had 30 hours per week) in other place during the same time?
Whether was legal to work in two places in at one time and whether it can make negative impact on receiving unemployment benefits?
Or 2 weeks aren't considered?

As long as you are not currently receiving unemployment benefits and have not signed an employment contract with either company stating you will not work somewhere else, you can work in two places at the same time. This may also be alright if your are receiving unemployment benefits as long as you have accurately reported to them where you are working and how many hours.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we signed some papers on other place but im quit after 2 weeks... It was Deseret Industries... they said it is not a job it is a trainig program...
I am not sure what to tell you. It is impossible for anyone to know how this factors into your situation without having seen what you signed. To the extent that you are dealing with unemployment, it is generally best to disclose everything and be honest with them because many times they have ways of finding out this information.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

well... thank you

ill try to go on job service tomorrow..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

here is another question... I got a sexual harassment in December from my boss..but my husbant got to know it and had a some argument with boss and wanted to fire both of us in same day but changed his mind and we stay on work. But now he fire me. He is always was friendly with anyone on work and telling a joks... Only few people work there include me and my husband. 2 of them his good friends all others are his relations. Same time he take my husband and me to the restorants or just a gave us a ride around. We often visited together to his house because he had a problems with his computer and my husband fixed it. But in Dec. he begin to play around me at first time i doesnt understand what is that because we always was like a good friends. First He gave his email to me and ask to send some links.. we begin to talk by IM just about nothing I was thinng it because he live alone and he needs just some friend to talk with (he is an old man who lost his wife few years ago..) and didnt stop him. 1 day he ask me to call him after work, when i call he asked me to come to his house because he wants to talk. I came we talk a little about job and he begin to hugging and kissing me..

So, do you have any advise about that? Right now i want just get my job back.. but propably it impossible .. I still keep all his emails and i have a voice records too with our conversations.. i bough recorder and tryed to safe all about.. Maybe i have to tell him about it and ask put me back on work? or its a bad idea? what can i do?

This other question is a separate question. However, I am happy to answer it. Please ask it as a separate questions and request me by typing "For LawGirl" in the subject.