Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

CAN I COLLECT UNEMPLOYMENT IN NEW JERSEY IF I RETIRED LAST

CAN I COLLECT UNEMPLOYMENT IN NEW JERSEY IF : I RETIRED LAST JULY , AM NOT CURRENTLY EMPLOYED , BUT DO COLLECT A PENSION
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: CAN I COLLECT UNEMPLOYMENT IN NEW JERSEY IF : I RETIRED LAST JULY , AM NOT CURRENTLY EMPLOYED , BUT DO COLLECT A PENSION

Response: No, if you are retired, you cannot collect unemployment benefits unless you started working after retirement and you were laid off from your job. You must then be available and willing to work and actively looking for work in order to be eligible for benefits.

http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/ui/content/faq.html#1

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

ARE THERE ANY EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE

LIKE I RETIRED FROM MY JOB OF 30 YEARS IN MUNISIPAL GOVERMENT TO KEEP MY BENIFITS BEFORE THE GOVENOR TOOK THEM AWAY AND ARE UNABLE TO FIND NEW EMPLOYMENT

Unfortunately, there no exceptions. If you are retired, you not considered to be unemployed.