Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English - Discrimination, Fire/Hire, Non-Compete, etc.

i was recently a law enforcement officer for the Ft. Peck Deptartment

i was recently a law enforcement officer for the Ft. Peck Deptartment of Law and Justice and was at the federal law enforcement training center, in artesia new mexico, while in training i had a epispode of heat exhaustion and overexertion, when this happened i was taken to the bases health unit and was told that as a precaution they wanted me to see a cardiologist, and that i would be put on a restriction, which would restrict me from attending any training until i was cleared from the cardiologist, well i was on restriction for a week, and on tuesday the 9th of march i was pulled into the class coordinators office and was notified that i would be sent home due to missing so many sessions of training, which was out of my hands. so i made arrangements to come home and i arrived back in poplar montana on the night of the tenth. the next day which is today i had a meeting with the captain who gave me an official letter of termination, which was dated for the ninth and i was told that when i returned that i was have a meeting with the captain and things would be decided from there, where in reality they terminated me on the ninth without my presence and unknowing
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you. I may have switched you out of "chat." If I did, it's because I have had technical problems chatting here. I hope that you don't mind!

While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Sometimes I'm unable to read your entire question until AFTER I write back to you.

Although it's usually five minutes, sometimes there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we are writing late at night, I may have to go to sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

I need the following information before I can answer your question:

Can you please tell me for how long you had been employed as a police officer?

Were you a union member?

Did you have any prior health issues at work?

Please be aware that JustAnswer is a "pay-for-answer" website.

I'll look forward to hearing from you,

Jane Doe Deer

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i had been employed with the dept since aug. 13 2010 to march 09 2011, i was not a union member and i had no prior medical issues except for high blood pressure which was undercontrol and doing really good, long before my attendance at fletc
You may have a proper claim for a disability discrimination complaint and/or a lawsuit for an unfair termination. It's a little iffy because you didn't finish the training, but it sures sounds like it wasn't your fault. In fact, you may have a cause of action against your department and the training facility for putting you in a position to get so ill.

If there are enough employees, you have the right to file a complaint with both the state discrimination agency and the federal one, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

In MO you can contact the state agency here:

You can contact the EEOC here: (there's a ton of great information at this website!)

If you start with the state agency, in most states they'll file a complaint with the EEOC on your behalf at the same time.

There are deadlines for filing, so don't delay!

Complaint investigations are free. They're not always the best, XXXXX XXXXX do get a free investigation. If it looks like they are going to file a "no cause" finding, withdraw your complaint before they do. That way, if you go to court, a "no cause" finding can't be used against you.

You may also want to talk/consult with employment and/or trial attorneys "on the ground." A local attorney will have a better idea of the local jury pool a lot more than I could have. A conservative jury may decide in favor of your employer just because it's a law enforcement agency.

Don't actually HIRE an attorney without first checking references. And don't try to pick the attorney's brain on the phone. Schedule an appointment and visit the office, like you would for a doctor!

A couple of places to look (for someone with at least five years experience):

As a public employee, unless you were still in probationary status, you should have been given the right to a hearing prior to termination. There may still be an internal way in which you can ask for a hearing and/or appeal. For example, if this is a city department, you may be able to appeal to a local Board or to the City Council. I'm not sure, because this varies from state to state.

May I be of any further help to you today?

My best,