Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Atty. 24+ years; Plain English - Discrimination, Fire/Hire, Non-Compete, etc.

I have had degenerative discs for several years now. The VA

I have had degenerative discs for several years now. The VA did a study on me & declared me to be disabled, & started paying me a compensation in June, 09. When I applieed for social security, I was denied. I was told that I could work. I take 4 ea. 10 mg methadone pills daily & 4 ea. 10 mg muscle relaxers daily for pain. I was employed in automotive manufacturing for 35 years. Can i still legally work at an automotive plant while taking these doses of opiates?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 3 years ago.

Jane Doe Deer :

Good morning. 60% of all applicants for Social Security disability get denied.

Your next step is to request a hearing and carefully study the denial letter you received. My guess is that you did not provide the type of evidence they're looking for. SS assumes that you can do some other job, such as telemarketing from home, even if you can't do what you used to. You'll have to prove that you can't do ANY job.

It's at this point that many people hire an attorney who specializes in this area of the law. The attorney can take no more than 25% of any back pay to which you may be entitled, going back one year. The attorney cannot take any of your forward (monthly) payments.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help to you.

Jane Doe Deer :

My best,

Jane

Customer:

I actually submitted the paperwork from my VA exam which states: " Veteran due to moderately severe chronic pain requires narcotic pain medication. He is unable to engage in physical or sedentary work." The doctor then gives medical explanations for this summary. The doctor is an accredited VA Professor.

Jane Doe Deer :

So, what reason was given for the denial?

Regardless, you need to appeal.

Jane Doe Deer :

I doubt you can work at an auto plant while taking the opiates, but you may want to try, get rejected, and use the rejection as part of your evidence on appeal.

Jane Doe Deer, Employment Lawyer
Experience: Atty. 24+ years; Plain English - Discrimination, Fire/Hire, Non-Compete, etc.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.