Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English - Discrimination, Fire/Hire, Non-Compete, etc.

I am currently waiting for an EEOC hearing date in Washignton

I am currently waiting for an EEOC hearing date in Washignton DC. I have retained an attorney however we have made a formal written agreement on the terms of retainer fees and expenses. I have worked with the attorney on a previous case that he represented and we had a written agreement/contract (whichever is the appropriate term in thi insatnce). The outcome was favorable, we seem to have established rapport as well as clinet-attorney relationship during the initial case. My concern now is because we do not have a written agreement/contract and I have requested that one be put in place can we still have one drawn up (we have been working on this matter for almost 2 years) and I want to make sure that we have a mutual agreement and understanding regarding fees for time, expenses etc.. If you will kindly provide your most sound and useful advice/ recommendation in this matter it is immensly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Answer: Your attorney was negligent in not drawing up a contract before starting representation on a new matter. At the very least, he should have mailed you a letter or memo of understandingj.

It's never too late to draw up a contract, and you are being brilliant by bringing this up before your case settles or has an order imposed.

Here's what I suggest that you do. Prepare a signed, dated letter to the attorney. List the terms that you understand will apply in the matter. You may want to use your original agreement as a model, or look online for information about what is typically in attorney/client agreements (note that they will be different if hourly or contingency).

For example, you'd have things such as:

Dear (name):

When you began my representation, you forgot to have me sign a new agreement. Please either sign this agreement or prepare and send me your own representation agreement for my review.

It is my understanding that when this case resolves, I will pay you:

1. 33% of any settlement or attorney fees ordered by the court against the defendant, whichever is greater;

2. All costs incurred;

3. Any other costs ordered by the court.

Sign and date the letter, and put in a signature/date place for the attorney. Yes, you're doing his job, but you're also protecting yourself. I'll bet he sends you an agreement as soon as he receives this. Meanwhile, he's on notice that the terms that are your understanding may be different from his.

You may want to send the letter certified, return receipt mail ($5.50 or so), to have proof that you sent it. No matter how you mail it, keep copies of everything in case you ever have to file a bar complaint or a dispute arises.

I'm happy to answer follow-up questions. If you have none, please

"ACCEPT" my answer.

There can sometimes be a delay of an hour or more in between my followup answers because I may be helping other customers, conducting legal research, or taking a break. If we're writing late in the evening, I may need to get some sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

Bonuses of even a dollar are much appreciated and help support this site.

I REALLY appreciate FEEDBACK so that I can continuously improve!

All my best,

Jane Doe Deer