Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law and Just Answer Legal Mentor

I have been employed with the same company for 21 years. From

I have been employed with the same company for 21 years. From 2001 - 2010 I had an ongoing affair with a married co-worker, who for a period of time was my direct boss. I have been a plant manager for over 5 years working my way up to the top and am only 1 of a very few female Plant Managers. The company has been going in a new direction and bringing in people from the outside trying to change the culture of the company and are insisting that any new hires have at least a 4 year college degree, which I do not have, During my annual review today, I was told that I was being demoted to material manager. I believe this is a direct result of a number of things, 1. I am a female 2. I do not have a college degree 3. I am no longer in a relationship with this Senior Vice President. I do not feel comfortable continuing my career here and feel I should be compensated. Please advise if I have a case. Thanks
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 3 years ago.
I believe this is a direct result of a number of things, 1. I am a female 2. I do not have a college degree 3. I am no longer in a relationship with this Senior Vice President. I do not feel comfortable continuing my career here and feel I should be compensated. Please advise if I have a case. Thanksi

Based solely on the information you have provided you don't have a case.

1. I am a female
To sustain a discrimination case under the EEOC, you must show that all females in the same position as yours are being treated the same way. You must also show that the employer specifically said that because you are female you are being demoted. You don't mention this being the case.

2. I do not have a college degree
There is no case law or law where education is protected right and not subject to discrimination. This means the private employer can legally discriminate if you do not have certain education. The private employer is allowed to make any changes to the work place so long as the employees are put on notice of these changes.

3. I am no longer in a relationship with this Senior Vice President.
EEOC requires that there be sexual harassment which is legally defined as unconsented sexual relationship or unconsented sexual obligations in exchange to keep your job. You indicated this was a mutual relationship and do not mention that you were forced in the relationship or obligated to continue with the relationship in exchange for keeping your job.

I know this is not something you wish to hear, but it would be a disservice to state otherwise.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney at law and Just Answer Legal Mentor