Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English - Discrimination, Fire/Hire, Non-Compete, etc.

i am 69 1/2 yrs young, and i work in a prison for older offenders

i am 69 1/2 yrs young, and i work in a prison for older offenders in ohio. do i have to retir e this year?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 5 years ago.

Jane Doe Deer :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

Answer: Federal law prohibits forcing someone to retire at any particular age, with very few exceptions (such as commercial airline pilots). As long as you can continue to perform the essential elements of your job, you cannot be terminated or forced to retire for age.

I'm goving you link to a Wikipedia page since it's a good summary of the law and easy to understand:

I'm happy to answer follow-up questions. If you have none, please

“ACCEPT” my answer.

There can sometimes be a delay of an hour or more in between my followup answers because I may be helping other customers, conducting legal research, or taking a break. If we’re writing late in the evening, I may need to get some sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

Bonuses of even a dollar are much appreciated and help support this site.

I REALLY appreciate FEEDBACK so that I can continuously improve!

All my best,

Jane Doe Deer

Jane Doe Deer :

Oops, sorry, I wasn't finished with my answer.

I wanted to also let you know that if your employer tries to force you to retire, you have the right to file a discrimination complaint.

Since there are enough employees, you have the right to file a complaint with both the state discrimination agency and the federal one, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

In Ohio, you can contact the state agency here:

And there are two other agencies just for people with disabilities: and

You can contact the EEOC here: (there’s a ton of great information at this website!)

If you start with the state agency, in most states they’ll file a complaint with the EEOC on your behalf at the same time.

There are deadlines for filing, so don’t delay!

Complaint investigations are free. They’re not always the best, XXXXX XXXXX do get a free investigation. If it looks like they are going to file a “no cause” finding, withdraw your complaint before they do. That way, if you go to court, a “no cause” finding can’t be used against you.