Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English - Discrimination, Fire/Hire, Non-Compete, etc.

I feel that my boss is psychologically and emotionally harassing

I feel that my boss is psychologically and emotionally harassing me, what documentation and proof would I need to gather in order to sue him.
I have been so stressed on this job that now I am making stupid mistakes, which as a micro-manager my boss keeps track of.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you. If you started this question in "chat" mode I may have switched you to "question and answer." I sometimes have technical problems getting "chat" to work for me, plus it's hard to read and write in that mode.

While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Sometimes I'm unable to read your entire question until AFTER I write back to you.

Although it's usually five minutes, sometimes there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we are writing late at night, I may have to go to sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

I need the following information before I can answer your question:

Can you please tell me approximately how many employees the company has, worldwide?

Are you the only person being harassed, or is your boss this way to everyone?

Are you being singled out because of your age, race, disability, national origin, or etc? (I'm trying to find out if you possibly the victim of illegal discrimination).

Please be aware that and are pay-for-answer web companies. You have offered to pay $28 for my work and I just need your acknowledgement that you will pay JustAnswer and me for the answer (as long as you are satisfied that I answered your question, of course).

I'll look forward to hearing from you,

Jane Doe Deer

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I work for Orange County Government in Orlando Florida. I think there might be 10,000 employees in the system. The program I work in has 10 employees, in our office all the counselors are female and the boss is a man. I am not the only one he has harassed but he targets me more than the others. I am 60 years old and he calls me "young lady" which I find offensive and have told him so. I am older than him.

This harassment has been going on for over a year and I have complained to professional standards but nothing has been done. He is protected by the old boys network which is in place in that Department.

I don't know what "Professional Standards" means in your office, but most large governmental employers have Equal Opportunity Personnel (sometimes called Affirmative Action) personnel, usually as part of their personnel office. There may be an employee handbook that tells you what procedure to follow. Keep everything in writing.

Since there are enough employees, you always have the right to file a complaint with both the state discrimination agency and the federal one, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

In Florida, you can contact the state agency here:

You can contact the EEOC here: (there's a ton of great information at this website!)

If you start with the state agency, in most states they'll file a complaint with the EEOC on your behalf at the same time.

There are deadlines for filing, so don't delay! (Less critical in your situation, with ongoing harassment).

Complaint investigations are free. They're not always the best, XXXXX XXXXX do get a free investigation. If it looks like they are going to file a "no cause" finding, withdraw your complaint before they do. That way, if you go to court, a "no cause" finding can't be used against you.

Before you file a complaint, you may want to talk with an employment discrimination attorney. That's because even if you have a good case, it may not go far if you have a conservative juror pool in your area.

To find employment discrimination attorneys in Florida, I'd start here:

I'd also try:

Just start with a paid (or if you're lucky, free) consultation. Don't actually HIRE an attorney without first checking references.

When a boss is equally, say we say, "annoying," to everyone, usually there's not enough to support a discrimination complaint, so it probably wouldn't go anywhere to complain about gender discrimination. However, you may have a case for age discrimination, for the "ageist" comments, especially since you have asked him to stop and he hasn't.

Most of my employment history and interest deals with discrimination. If you have any other questions, please write back.

I'd be happy to email some more if you have more follow-up questions. If not, please click ACCEPT so that I can get paid. We can still write after you pay. Feedback and $$$ Bonuses are gratefully appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using Just Answer, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and me or my law firm. Our conversation may show up on an Internet search. Contact the moderator or me to make sure personal information is removed from your email if that is a concern.

Jane Doe Deer