Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

How long do you have to work to collect unemployment I worked

Customer Question

How long do you have to work to collect unemployment? I worked 83 (actual working days not including weekends ( my 2 days off) and holidays. 124 including my days off. I work in illinois. I think I accidently put 93 days on my app can that be changed if I go into the office?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: How long do you have to work to collect unemployment? I worked 83 (actual working days not including weekends ( my 2 days off) and holidays. 124 including my days off. I work in illinois.

Response 1: Your benefits are determined by how much wages you earned and not by how long you worked. Your weekly benefit amount is determined by the total wages paid to you by each of your employers during your "base" period. Your base period consists of the first four of the last five quarters (three-month periods) where you earned wages, going back from the time of your initial claim for benefits. To be eligible for benefits, you must have been paid wages of at least $1,600 for insured work during your base period. Of this amount, at least $440 must have been paid to you outside of the base period quarter in which your wages were the highest. If you have not earned sufficient wages during your base period, unemployment office would try to establish your eligibility using a base period consisting of the last four completed quarters.

I think I accidently put 93 days on my app can that be changed if I go into the office?

Response 2: Yes, you can amend your application once you have discovered your error.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i still dont understand i worked from 11-8-10 to 3-3-11. I made about $6,400.00. I also worked before that at another employer from 11-08 to 6-10 does that help and I made 32,000.00 at that job so i was out of work for 4 months i never collected unemployment for that job
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
did u get my last question?

I was offline when you replied..

Your Question: i still dont understand i worked from 11-8-10 to 3-3-11. I made about $6,400.00. I also worked before that at another employer from 11-08 to 6-10 does that help and I made 32,000.00 at that job so i was out of work for 4 months i never collected unemployment for that job

Response: I do not know how else to explain it to you. Your base period consists of the first four of the last five quarters (three-month periods) where you earned wages, going back from the time of your initial claim for benefits. So, your previous employment would be included in calculation or your benefits since last four quarters of employment would also be used, which equal to a 12-month period. Whether you are eligible for unemployment benefits depends if you earned enough work credits/wages. It does not depend on how long you worked. Since you have applied, you need to wait to see what unemployment office decides.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i gave you the amount so it is either . you think so or you don't so. because i dont understand the quarters . my initial claim until today so i dont understand I made
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i guess im asking do i go back to the end of 2009

Your base period is a 12-month period. So any work you did within a year of your unemployment application would be used to calculate the amount of your benefits.

Does this finally answer your question?

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So i was unemployed this march so they go back to last march even though i was out of work from june to oct.
this is the last question ill ask.
Thank-you
Yes