Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Atty. 24+ years; Plain English - Discrimination, Fire/Hire, Non-Compete, etc.
10033880

Hello. I am to be employed with the US Consulate in Milan.

Customer Question

Hello. I am to be employed with the US Consulate in Milan. as a dual american and italian citizen I was told that I must where to have my benefits paid, either Social Security or italian INPS.
I wanted to know what are the current retierment laws for those types of jobs. I was told of the possibility to retire after 25 years of work at half of my annual salary.
Thank you, Melissa
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 3 years ago.

Jane Doe Deer :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don’t know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Sometimes I’m unable to read your entire question until AFTER I write back to you.

Although it’s usually five minutes, sometimes there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we are writing late at night, I may have to go to sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

I need the following information before I can answer your question:

I'm a little uncertain about what you are asking. Do you want to know what kinds of benefits you can receive through Social Security? I can answer that, but can't answer anything about an Italian retirement system.

I'll look forward to hearing from you,

Jane Doe Deer

Customer:

I'd like to know the type of benefits I can recieve through Social Security even if I'm working in Italy. Time ago I have been told of the possibility for governmente employees to retire after 25 years of work, is that true? What other types of benefits can I recieve with S.S.? I already know about the italian system but I knoe nothing about Social Security.

Jane Doe Deer :

Social Security has a great website. When you can retire depends on your age. Right now, one can retire at 62 with reduced benefits, or wait until one's retirement age (say, 66) and get more benefits, or even more at 70. The amount of years one works doesn't matter. In addition, if one becomes disabled, one can apply for a disability retirement younger than age 62, but it's hard to get onto that program.

Here is a link to the website: http://www.ssa.gov/ On the left hand column, note that there is a place to estimate your retirement benefits.

Jane Doe Deer :

Sorry, I clicked reply before I was through. Do you have any more questions?

Jane

Jane Doe Deer :

Are you still there? I need to take a little break. I'll be back soon.

Customer:

Yes I'm still here.

Customer:

Ok thanks. I'll take a look at the site. So, there's no more minimum years one has to work and obviously the amount of benefits depends on how long one works.

Jane Doe Deer :

That's right. The more years one works, the higher the monthly benefits.

Customer:

Is there any type of health plan I could get with S.S.?

Customer:

I might never need it but if I ever come back to the States it could turn out useful.

Jane Doe Deer :

Yes, Medicare. Currently, I think that you get it either two years after getting on Social Security disability, or when you reach 65. It pays 80% of most medical costs (there's a contribution one has to make, too).

Jane Doe Deer :

Sorry about the delays in my answers. It's Saturday, so I'm answering questions and doing chores around the house....

Customer:

It's ok. I'm around the house too... I'm going to be employed by the Us Counsulate here in Milan so I have to decide where I want my benefits paid, either S.S. or the italian equivalent (INPS). So the more information I get the better decision I can make. It's not very different here in Italy either (retierment age is 65 now). I was just in doubt of some things because several years ago my cousin worked for the Department of State and told the if I was able to be employed with the US government one could have the possibility to retire after 25 years at half your annual salary.

Customer:

I understand that since then things have changed

Jane Doe Deer :

Some federal agencies' employees didn't use to contribute to Social Security, so you may want to check with your individual employer. For example, my brother retired from a federal agency and doesn't get SS because when he started, the agency had its own pension plan, but it's not that way anymore.

If you work 25 years, you'd get about half your salary if you get 2% for each year worked.

But be cautious, because retirement age depends on a combination of what year you were born and what Congress is up to. They keep talking about making people wait longer and longer until they retire.

I don't think that that 25 year example you were given is truly accurate, unless the counsel has its own plan for some reason.

I also don't know whether or not Medicare would do you any good if you're outside the country - I just don't know the answer to that.

I'm going to be gone for the next 30 - 60 minutes.

Jane Doe Deer, Employment Lawyer
Experience: Atty. 24+ years; Plain English - Discrimination, Fire/Hire, Non-Compete, etc.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your help!!!
You're very welcome, and thanks for accepting! Enjoy Italy!