Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English - Discrimination, Fire/Hire, Non-Compete, etc.
10033880

MY HUSBAND IS ENTITLED TO BASIC NON-CONTRIBUTORY HOURLY PENSION

Customer Question

MY HUSBAND IS ENTITLED TO BASIC NON-CONTRIBUTORY HOURLY PENSION PLAN. I'VE TRIED TWICE SENDING THEM TWO LETTERS, BUT IT'S RETURNED EVERY TIME NO SUCH PLACE. MY HUSBAND WAS TO SEND IN THE APPLICATION TO: XXXXX XXXXX BOARD WHICH HE DID. BUT IT SEEMS THAT "CONTINENTAL CAN CO IN STAMFORD, CT DOESN'T EXIST. HE LAST WORKED FOR THEM IN JULY 1982. TOTAL MONTHLY DEFERRED BENEIFT IS $275.56.   I DON'T KNOW WHO OR WHAT DO NOW. COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME? I DON'T HAVE DOCUMENT NUMBERS OR FORMS FOR THIS PURPOSE, I ONLY HAVE THE LETTER THAT WAS ISSUED TO HIM WHEN HE LEFT "CONTINENTAL CAN CO" ON JULY 13, 1983. HE WAS WORKING THERE FOR ALMOST 14 YEARS. THE PLANT CLOSED, FROM THE VAN NUYS, CA. PLANT THE SAME YEAR. I HOPE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND THIS REQUEST FOR ASSISTANCE IN THIS MATTER.  THANK-YOU
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 6 years ago.

Jane Doe Deer :

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don’t know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Sometimes I’m unable to read your entire question until AFTER I write back to you.

Although it’s usually five minutes, sometimes there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we are writing late at night, I may have to go to sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

I need the following information before I can answer your question:

Are you saying that you can't locate the right office to contact to start your husband's retirement benefits? If so, I can help get you started. I just wanted to clarify.

I'll look forward to hearing from you,

Jane Doe Deer

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for reviewing the Continental Pension plan, looking through the website having discovered pending law suits concerning our request. After checking the websites; we found that Metlife-Atlanta, Ga. is representing Continental Can company Pension benefits. Could you help us to find out what options we have as to buy outs or deferred payments.

Any assistance/information will be appreciated for helping us with this little retirement money that we look forward to having if possible.

Sincerely,

Donald and Kondra Tapia

PS: To your question up above, we don't know any addresses or phone # XXXXX us to contact them.

Have you contacted MetLife yet? (In writing?).

Have you looked here? http://www.pbgc.gov/query.html?col=plan&qt=continental+can&charset=iso-8859-1&style=plan

(There is a lot of other good information at the that website).

If you haven't done so already, you should write to MetLife and provide all the information that you have, plus a copy of your complete file (clues to help them find the information).

Once MetLife finds your file/information, they will be able to tell you what pension benefits are available. Some typical pension options include a lump sum; monthly payments until the worker dies; or a plan in which the worker receives, say, 50% of the benefits while he lives, and then after death his spouse or another beneficiary gets monthly payments until her or his death. In other words, someone will have to read the terms of the plan and see what is available.

You may also be able to get help from the federal agency whose link I gave you, above.

You didn't say who you wrote to. Do you need the address for metlife?

Here is all their contact info:

http://www.metlife.com/about/corporate-profile/contact/metlife/index.html

May I be of any further help? I want to let you know that I'm quitting for the day soon, and will not be back until Saturday to check for additional messages from you.

If I have answered your question, could you please click on "accept?" We can continue writing even after you do.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a great evening. I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX you track down, and RECEIVE, the pension!

My best,

Jane

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your help. I'm pretty sure I found the answers to my questions about the pension. If I need further help, I will contact you at a later time. Sincerely, Don

Thanks/you're welcome!

Do not hesitate to return if I can be of any further help to you!

Jane Doe Deer