JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.

Can an empoyer make you work 13 days straight without a day

Can an empoyer make you work 13 days straight without a day off?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.

MI-Lawyer :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Does the employee belong to a union or have a written contract that prohibits it?

MI-Lawyer :

I will be happy to attempt to assist when you're able to reply to the follow-ups. Thanks!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what kind of answer was that. I work for a temp agentecy who asigned me to the company I am at. so I do not know about unions or contracts. I do know it is on my app. that I can not work on sundays for I go to chruch and finally after 44 yrs am getting baptised. They are trying to force us to work all the way till next saturday
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also I am not from Kentucky, just moved here. So I do not know the laws I do however feel like they can get away with anything they like just because we need the jobs.If I do not show up at work I will get 2 points on my record.I have never heard of this constant over time crap. We are suppose to be 2nd shift and get off at 2am but everyday they make us stay untill 3:30 am they wait untill last break to tell us. We do have familys and children who have to be watched. is there not some kind of law that protects us. but the way this is the first place that does not have the min. wage poster up anuwher for employees to see
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
One more thing our hand books that our temp service gave us does not speak of getting points, we can not take off when we are sick or because of bad weather with out getting points. even if you have a doctors note. As for bad weather if it is icey of bad snow and we get hurt on our way to or from work who is responsible ? The company does not have a bad weather plan. if you break odwn on the highway and are late you get a point. What kind of state is this. And it is not because it is a right to work state. (I live in one for 14yrs) and do know that the law was set up so that union workers/ temps could cross a picket line with out getting in to trouble.. so I need to know wkat laws protect us when our temp service won't!!!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I also need to know the fedral laws on this for they go over state laws .
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I also need to know the fedral laws on this for they go over state laws . WEe need to be protected against companies that think they have us over a barrow. I tried to quit but the temp service said I had to give a two week notice but according to our hand book all we have to give is 48 hours. I am not understanding how they are getting away with all this stuff. I need some answers that will help me and my fellow workers. for we are all about to walk out as one unit.. if I could get some straight up answers I would give you a better rating!
Yes, an employer can force an employee to work 13 days straight UNLESS the employee has a written employment agreement or contract with the employer that prevents it.

I know that it may seem to be unfair/unjust, however, state and federal law does not prohibit it.

What you list on an employment application is not a legally-binding contractual obligation.

If your faith requires that you have the Sabbath off, then you must submit to your employer a written request for this religious accommodation.

Good luck and best wishes. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!