Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I am being forced to sign a separation agreement. What are

Customer Question

I am being forced to sign a separation agreement. What are my rights.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
For a severance agreement, these are at the discretion of the employer and the employer must give you at least 21 days to take the agreement and review it to decide or to take it to an attorney for review. Once you sign the agreement you have the right to rescind your acceptance in writing within 7 days of signing. Other than that, you can choose not to sign the agreement or can try to negotiate the agreement for more money, but the employer can also choose to rescind the agreement if you will not agree to it as written so when negotiating you need to be careful not to push too hard as they are in the driver's seat.

The waiver of all of the rights to sue are valid once you sign and you could not later sue for any of those grounds. The only provision that would be invalid (but would not invalidate the whole agreement) would be if there is a provision claiming to waive rights to collect unemployment.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How much to review the document, 15 minute consultation, and make specific recommendations?
We cannot discuss price by terms of the site. The only way we can review the document would be if you can post it in this forum and if you are willing to do so (removing the company name and your name from it before posting) we would be willing to do so. Also, you can just post the provisions you have actual questions about and ask your specific questions. You would be free to pay what you believe it is worth to you.