Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

If I call out sick, and say Im not feeling well, its personal,”

Customer Question

If I call out sick, and say “I’m not feeling well, it’s personal,” am I protected under the HIPAA laws?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Employers are only covered under the HIPAA laws if they are a covered entity under the law, generally only if they have a health clinic operation available to employees or provide a self-insured health plan to employees.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not belong to their insurance plan; I’m not a chronic individual who calls out sick. My question, can they ask the reason why I’m calling out?

Yes, an employer can ask an employee why he/she will not be reporting to work.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did tell the supervisor that I was sick, and didn’t feel well. Do I need to elaborate?

No, although as part of the employer's policy, you can be required to provide a doctor's note for your absence.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I already knew the answer, there was nothing concrete in the answer.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
No, an employer is not an insurer or a medical care provider to you and in that respect HIPAA does not protect you with the employer. In fact, if the employer insists on proof of your illness more than "I'm sick and its personal" they can make the employee produce that information (which they would have to keep in a confidential file and would be bound then under the state confidentiality of medical records laws only for the actual medical documentation not to release that information except to other employees who have a legitimate business reason to know the information). Just the fact an employee tells the employer "I'm sick" would not be protected under either HIPAA or the state confidentiality laws.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My last Question, and I appreciate your time, and I will compensate.

Under NYS/US privacy “laws” must I give my employer specifics of my illness, "I have a cold, etc.?

Please note, I am not a chronic abuser of using my sick time privilege, but I am concerned when my employer uses unethical tactics to terminate vocal employees.
Yes, your employer can require more than even that, they can require a note from the doctor with your diagnosis and the prognosis of your illness to document the proper use of the sick time. Not saying you would, but so many employees lie about being sick that the courts allow the employer the right to get detailed information of an illness as proof.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I’m retired NYPD & stubborn, and I give you my word last question. Is this a NY law, statute, requirement?

My ignorance, I thought that it was my right to keep my illness personal. If that is not the case, it’s a shame.

I do agree with the consequence of sick time abuse, but standards must be set to protect the employee.
This has all been developed through case law over the years involving the Americans with Disabilities Act and the only reason I even brought up the NY law is because when HIPAA does not apply to employee medical records with an employer, the state law addresses just the fact that the employer must keep them confidential but that law does not address what information they can demand. (by the way, retired New Orleans Police here and I know about being stubborn...).
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 20+ Years of Employment Law Experience