Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law and Just Answer Legal Mentor
1723468

I have a co-worker who said they were suicidal over the weekend.

I have a co-worker who said they were suicidal over the weekend. We are working to get our colleague counceling and other such assistance. We are a small business in the state of Florida. What is our legal responsibility, if any re reporting of this, etc.?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
This is a tough situation you are in. Legally you are not responsible for the intentional conduct of others, at the same time once you get involved in helping the person you owe them the duty to make sure they are obtaining the necessary care required and failure to do so can result in a negligent claim against the employer. Florida is very relaxed as to the employers responsibility. Given that this issue is occurring at work, you may need to consider reporting this incident to your worker's compensation insurance to see if the employer can be eligible for treatment. You may also wish to contact the Suicide Prevent Resource Center for further guidance.

http://www.sprc.org/featured_resources/customized/employer.asp#role

Unless the person is actually in the process of hurting themselves there would be no need to reporting this as emergency for involuntarily commitment. Just make sure the employee contact their doctor and seeks the help you are trying to assist them with.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.