Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law

My unemployment benefits have been suspended because i temporarily

My unemployment benefits have been suspended because i temporarily left the state for family emergency--can i contribute evidence to the review that will be done? if so, how do i do that? And, are there allowable reasons to leave the state briefly while receiving benefits?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 5 years ago.

The letter that you got that said that you would lose your benefits for the period of time that you were out of state, should tell you how to appeal the decision. Having said that, it really doesn't matter why you were gone. One of the requirements to be eligible for benefits is that you must be able and available for full-time employment at all times and the you be actively seeking employment in all weeks when you receive benefits. So, you wouldn't be eligible no matter what the reason was. However, it really shouldn't have any significance in the long run because your benefits will just be extended for the period they were suspended.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not sure that I was clear... i was notified on phone call they are reviewing the situation (no letter received). there were no instructions regarding an appeal b/c the decision is in review--i am asking about contributing to that review and how?
Okay, well once they make a decision they will send you a letter and you can appeal if you choose. However, as I mentioned, for every week you receive benefits you must be able, available and actively seeking employment. If you are not in Florida and are attending to family business, you cannot satisfy that requirement.