Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Is my employer allow to deduct money from my paycheck without

Is my employer allow to deduct money from my paycheck without my consent?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
The employer can only make standard deductions from your pay without your express written consent under the Fair Labor Standards Act, which applies in a modified manner in American Samoa. This means that if you have not authorized the deduction from pay, you can file a complaint with the US Department of Labor Wage and Hour Division and they can assist you.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, this was in regards XXXXX XXXXX training class that I started, I got sick before I could finish, when I tried to get the class rescheduled, my employer complain about it not being authorized even though I was asked prior if there was a class i wanted to take. So i cancelled the course with the company to keep confusion down. Now I was just told 1/11/2011 that i would be charged for the course that I was not allowed to complete. Others here have taken classes without issues of cost or otherwise, it appears that I am being singled out out of pure pettiness. Another employee charged up a cell phone bill with personal usage and nothing was done about it. Since I was not allowed to complete the course there is no failing grade.
This depends on if you signed any agreements for the training class. If you did not do so, then they could sue you for the cost, but cannot take it from the check unless you signed something authorizing them to do so.