Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

Im a 204b which is like a supervisor for the postal service,

I'm a 204b which is like a supervisor for the postal service, when i was recently taken into the office by the union shop steward for an interview, and was told this is a grevience for retaliation, she proceeded to ask questions like did i have any management help with my transfer, did i know any management in pahrump prior to my transfer, did i know i was going to be a 204b or supervisor when i transfered, do i have any connections in vegas, did i have any sick leave, what was my annual lleave balance, i've only been here since sept.2010 thats four months now, i dont feel she has the right to do this just because she is the union shop steward any information would be appreciated. thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago via EmployeeIssues.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
You had a right not to answer any of these questions and should have notified management that the union was trying to interview you without a management representative present. As soon as possible you need to notify management of this interrogation by the union and the possibility a grievance may be filed.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
management was there, it caught me off guard, i did not know my rights, if i had a little more time maybe i would of checked on that, shouldnt the union steward tell me if i had the right to answer or not, i was getting ready to leave for the day so it caught me off guard
If management was present then under the labor law that is all that was required. You do have the obligation to answer all questions directly related to your employment and cannot refuse to do so, thus, if you answered them you did what you were supposed to do. If there were any problems with them questioning you, it was up to management to object under the terms of the contract.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i was already working for the post office for 13 years, this was a transfer from one state to another. i was also informed that she sent paperwork to hire people saying that a supervisor and i were related. were both hispanic and were not related
I understand and the union has a right to investigate these matters. As long as management was present this is permissible. If they made a known false statement about you in the paperwork and you suffer some type of financial loss from it, then you could sue her for libel/defamation, but if they merely investigate and find no violations, then they have a right to file a grievance and have it investigated (welcome to the wonderful world of unions and union rights).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
are you saying thats not discriminating to say that because were both hispanic were related
I did not make any comment on whether or not it was discriminatory and it is a very close call as to whether or not it is discriminatory based on national origin. It may be discriminatory if you can show the ONLY reason for the complaint was your national origin and it may be they automatically presumed relationship based only on your national origin and if this is the case, then you have to file a complaint with the EEOC against the union first and they have to make the determination before you could sue in court.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 20+ Years of Employment Law Experience