MDLaw
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney representing companies and individuals in employment law matters and litigation
16277701

what is the true definition of job abandonment

what is the true definition of job abandonment?
What do you mean by "true definition"? It all depends on the context. In some contexts, there is no legal definition. In some contexts, it is simply the plain meaning - leaving your job. An example would be if you just did not bother to show up for work and didn't call in.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I should have phrased my question differently. Here's the situation. I was working a regular day, as a pharmacist. a custmer arrived & was, to put it mildly, irate, rude, swearing profusely, and threatening me. he told me to "be careful with him" because he had mental diseases. I was AFRAID for the safety of myself & my staff. I asked my supervisor to call 911. she refused---I became upset, and left the pharmacy. I notified my other supervisor immediately, and was in fairly consistent contact with the store over the next several hours. I have been fired, and I've been told it is because of "job abandonment". I feel as if leaving because I was afraid is not the same as leaving just because I wanted to go shopping, or go hang out with my friends. I have always heard there is a time limit of some kind-like no call or no show for 2 days consecutively--or something like that involved in true abandonment cases. Am I right at all?
There is no time limit under the law. Some employers might have internal policies but those would just be internal policies.

If you were an at-will employee, meaning that you had no employment contract, your employer had the right to terminate you so long as they were not terminating you for discriminatory reasons, i.e. based on your age, race, gender, disability, religion, or national origin. In other words, even though they gave you a reason for terminating you, the law did not require them to provide you with a reason if you were an at-will employee.