LawGirl
LawGirl, Lawyer
Experience:  I have practiced employment law.
635143

I recently accepted a job after being on unemployment since

I recently accepted a job after being on unemployment since February of this year. After a couple of weeks it has became quite clear that I am underqualified and was mislead by my employer and feel very strongly that I am not suitable for this position. This has caused an enormous amount of anxiety. Is it possible for me to walk away from this job and extend my original unemployment claim in the state of Massachusetts?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawGirl replied 6 years ago.

LawGirl :

Thank you for your question. Although I am an attorney, I cannot represent you. However, I will give you the most thorough information I am able. When you took this job, did you report it to unemployment?

Customer:

No, I have not.

LawGirl :

Upon the receipt of gainful employment you are supposed to report the new job. Unemployment may be entitled to a refund of any funds you have received while employed by this new company. To the extent that you have a new job, that would cut off your existing claim. Leaving this job would subject this employer to a claim in the event of your unemployment. However given how long you have been there, it is unlikely that you would be able to make a claim against your new employer.

Customer:

I didn't feel the need to report it since my original claim expired. I also reported any earnings I made and have not collected any unemployment since I began work.

LawGirl :

The problem you will have extending your original claim is that your original claim is with your previous employer. New employment alters your ability to merely extend that claim.

Customer:

I understand. I thought it was worth inquiring about given how unhappy I am. I just wish I would have known better before I accepted the postion. Thanks for your time.

LawGirl :

I completely understand. Best of luck to you!