Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in employment law, unions, contracts, workers comp law

I was a manager for Harbor Freight Tools for over 4 years.

I was a manager for Harbor Freight Tools for over 4 years. For the last two I was a so called an exempt employee, and I worked approximately 50 to 60 hours a week, but only got paid for 45 hours. I was falsely fired and I was able to collect employment. Am I entitled to my bonus at the time of my firing. I worked an average of 55 hours a week with no compensation.....just bonus.....Can I refund my money?????
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 5 years ago.

Bonuses are completely discretionary in the eyes of the law and it is up to the employer whether to give a bonus or not -- because you were exempt, you were not entitled to over time pay (even though it is retail work and can be long hours, you were still "management" and they could legally get away with no overtime compensation for you) so your employer changed it to a "bonus". The problem with bonuses is, the company does not have to give the bonus if they choose not to.