DUSLaw
DUSLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in the area of employment law as well as various other areas
5180018

I am a school teacher who asked for one day off for a

I am a school teacher who asked for one day off for a medical appointment as my physician wanted additional tests run at our local hospital. I asked for the day off as per my school policy. My principal said they were having a hard time finding a substitue teacher and said "what is wrong with you" "do you have a lump in your breast". I feel like this is a HIPPA violations as I felt pressured in explaing what my medical issues are to justify the time off.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  DUSLaw replied 6 years ago.
what is your state?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Wyoming
Expert:  DUSLaw replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately it is not a HIPAA violation because the regulation only applies to medical service providers and agencies that are responsible to record your medical information such as insurance companies. HIPAA does not apply to employers unless the employer falls into the medical provider category. What was stated to you was not proper in the way it was asked but an employer can for medical documentation to support a request as the one you made. You do not have to disclose the details of a procedure but you can be required to disclose the type of doctor and the doctor's information.