Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

Can you collect unemployment and your pension at the same time.

Can you collect unemployment and your pension at the same time. I am going to be laid off 10/8/10 and am eligible to retire from my company.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that you are getting laid off.

CA law requires that, to collect unemployment, you must be willing and able to work, unemployed through no fault of your own, and actively looking for work. You cannot be both involuntarily unemployed and retired. However, you may qualify for unemployment while collecting a pension if you are actively looking for work and intend to accept a position if offered. In that situation, your weekly unemployment benefit would be reduced by the amount of the pension.

When you file a claim, EDD will tell you the exact benefit amount that you are eligible to receive. For more information on filing a claim, click here.