Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law

What does administrative leave without pay actually mean.

What does "administrative leave without pay" actually mean. Can I look for work? Am I basically fired at this point?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 years ago.

There is no general definition in terms of how long you can be put on leave, it is entirely up to the company's own policies what the term means inside their company. Generally though, administrative leave without pay, just means what it says, you still have a job but you are not getting paid while you are on leave. So, unless you are told that you have been terminated, you haven't. It is important that you continue to follow company procedures for checking in with your employer so that they cannot say that you quit or abandoned your job. If I were you, I would contact HR and ask them how long you will be on leave or when you can expect to hear from them. Of course, you are always free to look for work, if you want to find a different job, but again, unless you are told you were terminated, you weren't.