LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  30 years legal experience and I keep current in Employment Law through regular continuing education.

Is is legal to pay housekeepers by the room rather then by

Customer Question

Is is legal to pay housekeepers by the room rather then by the hour. I guess this is called piecework
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Yes, you may pay employees by the piece rate (by the room cleaned) however, that will not avoid the obligation to pay overtime wages for the hours worked overtime, even if the work was piece-rate.

I wish you the best in 2010.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX information, if a housekeeper shows up at 9:00am but I am unable to get them into a room to clean until 10:00, do i owe them for the hour that they were waiting to start their piece work??
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good afternoon,

If you schedule them to work, and they show up and you have no work for them to do, no---on a piece rate wage, they would not be paid anything. However, the hour would count toward overtime hours. But honestly---you won't keep your employees if things get too out of hand. They will simply go elsewhere.

Also be aware that if the employees transfered to piece rate suffer a significant decrease in income, they will be eligible for partial unemployment insurance and that will have a tendency to make your premiums go up.

I wish you well.