AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in the Employment law arena.
10805288

Several months ago my job position was eliminated due to a

Several months ago my job position was eliminated due to a decrease in the workforce. When i was let go, I was told i was free to reapply for other positions and that my previous write ups would not be held against me in reference to rehire to the company. Recently, I reapplied, was called in for an interview, and the next day was offered a position. The following day I was called by HR and told that they were withdrawing their offer for rehire. When I asked why, I was told that the manager who had interviewed me and decided to hire me, changed her mind because of my previous write ups over the last 2+ years of employment at the company. When my job position was originally eliminated, I left on good terms. I received a severance package, and was told that I was free to apply for rehire and that the previous write ups would not be held against me !
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 4 years ago.

Hi, this is unfortunate.

Unfortunately, the comments about past history not being held against you was not a contractual term they are obligated to abide by, unless you had it in writing and there was consideration for same, such as in a that severance contract. Promises without consideration, offer/accept, etc., are not binding, unfortunately.

This is one of the problems we do have when we apply to the former employer for a new position - they have our personnel files at their disposal. THis generally is NOT the case when we apply with a new company, as the old one will rarely open its mouth about negative prior write ups - due to fear of lawsuit/defamation, etc. However, internally, it is free to do so.

I wish it were different! Keep in mind to, that a different boss on a different internal position may not feel like those write-ups are a big deal, but it really up the hiring supervisor.

Hope this helps to clarify. If it does, please click ACCEPT and follow up if needed after you do so. If you need more detail, please click Reply, not ReList and I will gladly respond. Also, if you exceeded the one question one answer standard, and the expert provided you with answers to your additional questions, BONUS is an appreciated way of saying thank you! This expert's credit proceeds go towards providing volunteer provisions for the disabled. Thank you for helping!

I believe I have answered your question and I hope you a better understanding of your legal issue as a result. As you know, I am only the messenger, not your attorney, nor can I create favorable law if it doesn't exist, so please don't hold it against me if the legal result is not what you wish. ACCEPTING the Answer a so ensures I will be able to assist your with your future legal question. In addition, Positive "FEEDBACK" and BONUSES are also appreciated. If you would like my assistance in the future, just put my name, STEPHANIE JOY, in your title or first sentence of a new post. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you describe it fully. Also, due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break, or if it is late at night, I may have to go get some shut eye til morning, but rest assured, I'll be back for you. Thanks

Sincerely,

S. Joy, Legal Expert

My Standard and Required Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me here is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice and you agree that the nominal price you may voluntarily pay for information here clearly does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship with you. You must hire an attorney in your state as a matter of law, in order to receive legal advice and attorney/client relationship and rights. I do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided or whose law would apply, if any. My licensing credentials are noted in my profile, which you have full access to. As law is always changing, you are recommended to consult with the appropriate legal counsel in your jurisdiction for accurate and complete information. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX a great day.

AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience: 19+ Years of Legal Practice in the Employment law arena.