Cowgirl Lawyer
Cowgirl Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney for 22 years. Labor and Employment. Former Administrative Law Judge.
9112957

What is the Federal/State regulations as to On-call coverage

What is the Federal/State regulations as to "On-call" coverage that a Medical Doctor has to provide or required to provide per day/week. Meaning what is the maximum hours per
day/week that the labor laws would allow.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Cowgirl Lawyer replied 6 years ago.
Hello!

Unfortunately, Kansas law does not provide an hours cap per week in its employment laws.

Federal employment laws provide no cap on the number of hours worked either. The Fair Labor Standards Act provides that non-exempt employees (generally unskilled or trade hourly employees) must be paid over-time for the hours worked in excess of 40 per week. But there is no upper limit on hours worked even for these employees, and employers can legally make overtime mandatory.

The FLSA provides NO protection for professionals. That means that under federal law, a professional has no upper limit on the number of hours worked. This is one reason for the increased interest in unionization amongst professionals.

Around the USA in recent years there has been a movement pushing for reform of employment laws with respect to nurses and hospital staff, trying to put a cap on the hours worked. This is not so much due to wanting to treat medical staff more humanely, but out of a concern for patient safety. You may find this AFSCME article enlightening, as well as this webpage from the American Nurses Association.

I will be happy to clarify my answer if you need me to do so.

If not, please click ACCEPT. I do not get paid for my work unless you click ACCEPT. Like you, I cannot work for free.

Your positive feedback wins me points and costs you but a moment of time. A "bonus" awards me for an especially good job.

Next time you visit Just Answer, please ask for me by name by starting your question with "For Cowgirl Lawyer."

Good luck and best wishes!

Cowgirl Lawyer

IMPORTANT: I am not your attorney, and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not responsible for your legal rights. My function here is to provide education to the public so that people can understand the law. If you accept my answer, you are accepting educational information. Please remember that this is a public forum. Anything you discuss here is not protected by attorney-client privilege. Do not take any action or fail to take action based upon our discussion here. I am an experienced attorney licensed in Illinois, but I do not hold myself out as an "expert" in any area of law (Illinois does not recognize such attorney specializations). Any representation to the contrary by JustAnswer is in error. You should consult with an attorney in your area for specific advice relevant to your situation.