wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I am a delivery driver for a non-union company. (FedEx Freight)

Customer Question

I am a delivery driver for a non-union company. (FedEx Freight) One of our major customers is unionized and will be on strike soon. Can FedEx legally force me to cross their picket lines just to deliver their freight under threat of being fired if I don`t.

I was told to cross the picket lines during the UPS strike in `97 and I swore I would never do it again. This is the first time this situation has come up since then.

Thank-you;
Mark
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 6 years ago.
what type of employment agreement do you have? If you are an at will employee they can force you to ignore the strike.
if you are at will the only way you can not technically break the strike, is too use vacation or sick days, that is the way employees get out of it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I understand and thanks for your reply. It`s just that FedEx is always talking about how the safety of the driver is the highest priority and since I would definitely not feel safe crossing this angry picket line just to deliver freight, I was hoping this could be a reasonable argument. I will probaly contact our Human Resources department to find out their stand on the matter.
If safety is an issue and their is a company policy protecting your safety, than you have a good argument, and a termination would be a violation of company policy.