socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

Independent Contractors and unemployment taxes

I run a staffing agency in NYC specifically for waiters. This means when caterers dont have enough of their own staff they give me a call and I provide the deisred amount of staff needed at the party. I have my staff fill out W-9 and I provide them with 1099. My question is im paying over 7K in unemployment taxes every quarter which is mounting to close to 30K yearly, am I paying this for naught? Do I have an obligation to pay for unemployment, or are my workers considered independent contractors since none of them are required to take on a specific job, they have the right to turn down any job that is offered to them.

Thank you
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 4 years ago.

Unemployment benefits are only available to W-2 employees. Workers who are paid gross reported on a 1099 are not employees, so they're not entitled to UI benefits.

However, based on the job description of the workers, they really are employees and should be paid on a W-2. Because, if the IRS finds out what you're doing, and determines that your workers are employees rather than independent contractors, you could get crushed with fines for failing to collect and remit Social Security (up to $25,000 per employee per tax year).

Similar problems could happen with the Workers Compensation Board.

What I'm not understanding in all of this is how it came to pass that you started paying UI contributions for nonemployees.

Not that it matters, but something is definitely unusual about your relationship with the State of NY and your workers.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: Due to overwhelming customer demand for my time, I am forced to limit our correspondence to only one follow-up question per session. If you are on a justanswer.com subscription plan, this does not prevent you from asking new questions for the same subscription fee. It only means that you must open a new question to continue our conversation. You are welcome to open a new question and preface it with my userid: “To Socrateaser…{question text}.”

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience: Retired (mostly)