socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

I received A Potential Private Pension Benefit Information

Customer Question

: I received A Potential Private Pension Benefit Information from From the Social Security Adminisrtation. It stated that an employer reported the type of annuityA and estimated amount of $67,593 with estimated amouny of $67,593. I left this company in 2000 after almost 13 years. It was filed with the SS in 2002. I never received this notice nor the payment. When I called the Benefit Trust Commitee, the had no record but would do research. Am I entitled to this money or is it possible fraud from the employer for their benefit?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

It could be a fraud, intended to document tax deductions for employee benefits that were never actually paid. If it is a fraud, that wouldn't necessarily benefit you, because your right to the payments would be controlled by your employment agreement in force at the time you worked for the employer. And, if you were never offered this benefit, then you would have no right to receive it.

You could contact the U.S. Department of Labor and request an investigation. Maybe you actually are due the benefit, and the employer has held back.

1.866.444.EBSA (3272).

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: Due to overwhelming customer demand for my time, I am forced to limit our correspondence to only one follow-up question per session. If you are on a subscription plan, this does not prevent you from asking new questions for the same subscription fee. It only means that you must open a new question to continue our conversation. You are welcome to open a new question and preface it with my userid: “To Socrateaser…{question text}.”

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.