JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Government and private sector employment law experience

When recieving a write up at work that an employee disagres

When recieving a write up at work that an employee disagres with, should that employee sign such documentation? Also is there any way to dispute such documentation?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 4 years ago.
I will assume you are an "at will" employee as you do not mention anything indicating otherwise. The employee is not required to sign the "write up," but the employee should consider that the employer generally needs no reason to terminate the "at will" employee. Most likely the signature is only to confirm receipt of the "write up," rather than an admission by the employee. Read the document and if it is only to show receipt, then consider signing as this is not an admission of guilt.

Thank you

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you. You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. The responses do not create an attorney-client relationship and are informational only.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Company is believed to be an "at will" - Large Corporation. However if employee signs documentation can employer use this form as probable cause when fighting unemployment if it were to come to this extent.

Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 4 years ago.
The answer to your question depends on what the employee is signing. If the employee is only signing they received the document, this makes no difference except to show the employee was warned. If the document signed by the employee states the employee admits guilt, then this could be used in an unemployment contested case against the employee. You need to examine the language contained in the document closely.

Thank you

JBaxLaw, Employment Lawyer
Experience: Government and private sector employment law experience