Cedric
Cedric, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Several Years Litigation Experience; Editor of Employment Law Newsletter for Law Firm
14986957

I was denied CA Unemployment benefits for 5 weeks under CUIC

I was denied CA Unemployment benefits for 5 weeks under CUIC Section 1257 (a) because I did not report the correct earnings for the first week of temporary job. At the time, I didn’t have exact numbers as to what I’d be paid and frankly I figured my unemployment benefits were based on whether I worked or not. Considering my employment is temporary job, I will likely end up needing unemployment sometime in the future. 5 weeks and an $81 seems like an excessive penalty.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Cedric replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, do you have a specific question about the process or your chances on appeal?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there something I can do to reduce this penalty?
Expert:  Cedric replied 7 years ago.

Hopefully through the appeals process, once they hear your side of the story, and your reason for failing to report the income, they'll reconsider the penalty and reduce it.

However, it's really in EDD's discretion to set what the penalty is for overpayment of uninsurance benefits, so there's no guarantee that it'll be reduced through the appeals process, but considering your situation, I think your chances for getting it reduced are pretty good.