AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in the Employment law arena.

How do I contact NJ umemployment to find out for an extension.

How do I contact NJ umemployment to find out for an extension. I cannot find any answers on their website which is: http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/ui/ui_index.html. I just went thru my first 6 months. I want to make sure I get in for the April 5 cut off to as for my 1st extension or Tier? Pls. help....
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  AlexiaEsq. replied 4 years ago.

Dear godhelpme,

According to NJ, the claimant need not do anything, it will be automatic. (I know, this would make me uncomfortable also, given the bureaucracy's ability to drop the ball and screw up):

"If you are currently collecting regular unemployment insurance benefits and you are close to exhausting these benefits you do not need to take any action to file for EUC Tier benefits. When your last unemployment insurance payment is issued and your regular claim is exhausted an EUC Tier I claim will automatically be filed on your behalf. If you are eligible a determination, along with instructions on how and when to claim your benefits, will be mailed to you."

http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/ui/aftrfile/exbenefits.html

So, you should be getting something in the mail.

Here is a mailing address and fax number:

Telephone:(609)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
FAX:(609)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
Mailing Address:Division of Unemployment Insurance
Technical Support Unit
PO Box 058
Trenton, NJNNN-NN-NNNN/td>

You probably already saw this, but it appears to be automated contact numbers, but could be helpful:

http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/ui/claim/obtaininfo.html

Good luck. If the system works right, your extension should be seemless, assuming you are eligible.

Sincerely,

S. Joy, Legal Expert

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, but I have been reading that congress changed the automatic tiers... first it stopped in Feb. 28, then March then April 5 for you to file to get the extension? Congress is battling and those who just started collecting and are ending their 6 month of UI benefits don't have the same glorious extensions everyone else has been getting. That's what I've been reading.. or maybe I'm not reading it right? Are you able to confirm? Thanks for your help on this. I really do appreciate your input.... please advise.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
P.S. I called this 609 # XXXXX and the woman was so nasty and still said Feb. 28 was the cut off to extend to get my first tier and I missed it? Does she know what she's talking about or just frustratingly mean?

Hi godhelpme,

Isn't it amazing who a woman who gets her weekly paycheck FROM OUR taxes has the audacity to be rude to you?

If you haven't see this contact info, please consider it.

A. Your EUC Tier 1 claim is filed automatically after you have exhausted your regular unemployment insurance claim. You will receive a notice of potential eligibility within ten (10) days after your last unemployment check. If you do not receive your notice, contact your nearest Reemployment Call Center (RCC). RCC agents will assist you in filing the claim for which you are entitled. When you call, be sure to have available your Social Security Number and the complete name and address of each employer that you worked for in the past 18 months.

Central (NNN) NNN-NNNNbr /> North (NNN) NNN-NNNNbr /> South (NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />

Some other info:

Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC)

• EUC Tier 1 provides up to 20 weeks or 80% of an individual's maximum benefit amount from their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less. The individual must have had their initial claim filed May 7, 2006 or later and exhausted their regular unemployment insurance benefits. An individual may not collect EUC benefits if they are eligible for a regular unemployment insurance claim in New Jersey, any other state or Canada. Due to theApril 5, 2010 expiration date of the EUC program, March 28, 2010 is the last date a EUC Tier 1 claim may be filed. EUC Tier 1 is 100% federally funded.

http://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/ui/content/ui_benefit_extensions.html

What about EB?

Extended Benefits (EB)

• EB provides up to an additional 13 weeks or 50% of an individual's maximum benefit amount from their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less. New Jersey became eligible for EB effective March 15, 2009. The EB program ends when New Jersey's total unemployment insurance rate averages less than 6.0% over a three-month period.

Effective May 3, 2009, New Jersey qualified for High EB, which allows additional EB benefits. High EB increases the amount of EB benefits to 20 weeks or 80% of an individual's maximum benefit amount from their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less. The High EB program ends when New Jersey's total unemployment insurance rate averages less than 8.0% over a three-month period.

Other:

Currently, there is no expiration date for EB benefits. If an individual exhausts EUC benefits after April 3, 2010, they may be eligible for EB benefits.

There is no need to apply for EB benefits. Once an individual exhausts their final available EUC benefits, an EB claim is automatically filed on their behalf by the Division of Unemployment Insurance.

Note: Under EB law, the EB program is more stringent and more is expected of an individual claiming EB benefits. Due to stringent work search and availability requirements, an individual must submit proof of their work search each time they certify for benefits. UI staff reviews each work search to ensure that individual is actively seeking work. There are other requirements under EB law that must be met and maintained by an individual in order to remain eligible for EB benefits.

---

It seems they really want to discourage phone calls unless and until you don't get your notice. If I were you, and if I didn't receive that notice within 10 days, as noted above, I would send a notice/letter detailing what has happened and mail it certified r.r.r. and regular mail, to the address provided in the above post. At least if you had to appeal, you would have proof that you did everything in your power. Also, be sure to get name of anyone you talk to at UI, so you can documents all such conversations as to who, what and when.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

S. Joy, Legal Expert

AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Experience: 19+ Years of Legal Practice in the Employment law arena.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your kindness. I have been treated so bad in the past months, I cry when someone is kind to me. Sad I know. Thank you so much for your invaluable information above. You give me hope.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One last question.. I just put in for my last check yesterday (regular unemployment). Will I make it for the March 28 to collect the Tier1 or am I doomed and miss out again!!! And will only be eligible for EB not EUB ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Re: my above question. It would have been better to have the EUC rather than EB as it would have lasted longer correct? I am doomed because I won't get into the EUB if March 28 is deadline and my last check comes into my account today is that right? I keep calling the 609 # XXXXX is busy all day long or it just rings and no one picks up?

Hi godhelpme,

With regard to your post:

I'm sorry my math is not up to par - so don't hold me to this and you WILL have to await word from UI - however, if you put in for your last check yesterday, it would have been for the PRIOR week, right? Because I believe we can not put in for a future week. Therefore, wouldn't it be true that your week ended Friday the 12th? and the next week would be 3/19, and the next week 3/26? Seem to me that you would be fine with that deadline - but again, I am unable to get precise confirmation. Do you see it that way?

Also, with regard to your next post:

Re: my above question. It would have been better to have the EUC rather than EB as it would have lasted longer correct? I'm looking at the above:

"Effective May 3, 2009, New Jersey qualified for High EB, which allows additional EB benefits. High EB increases the amount of EB benefits to 20 weeks or 80% of an individual's maximum benefit amount from their original unemployment insurance claim, whichever amount is less. The High EB program ends when New Jersey's total unemployment insurance rate averages less than 8.0% over a three-month period."

And according to the NJ website, the UI rate is still over 9% (see here: http://lwd.state.nj.us/labor/index.shtm under "News Releases" on the far right, its at, like, 9.9 or something...so this may mean you are find for high EB, which is =, I believe, to first Tier EUC, no?

I am doomed because I won't get into the EUB if March 28 is deadline and my last check comes into my account today is that right? See above. I keep calling the 609 # XXXXX is busy all day long or it just rings and no one picks up? The bureacracy stinks. I deal with a government agency in my full time practice (SSA) and believe me, 90% of the time I can not reach the local office in question for the same reason (busy signal, no answer, etc.). I feel for the unrepresentated claimants who are at a loss of what to do when that happens!

Hope the above helps. And with the complexity of the new and ever changing rules here, I'm sorry I can't be more exacting.

But who knows, hopefully you will land a job soon and this will be a moot point!

Hi godhelpme,

With regard to your post:

Also, with regard to your next post:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just found out that my last check will be NEXT Tuesday... I am so worried I am banging into walls with this. UGH... does that make not eligible then for EUC Tier? I screwed up... please advise because that means my last time I go online for least check will be Tuesday, March 23 then I will be at a 0 balance and have exhausted the 6 month UI. Did I miss the March 28 deadline then because there's a 10 day wait? Pls. advise. Thanks.

Would it not depend on the period which the check covers? I.e. isn't Tuesday the check that would cover benefit period through the 19th? Do you have a link for the 10 day wait rule?

Thanks.

Also, wouldn't you still be able to get EB, and high EB, to boot?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have the link you talk about above? I don't know where to get it. I am so scared and sad... worried.

So where did you get this idea about a 10 day wait ?

And, how is the job front looking for you at this point (not that I think you won't get an extension, it seems that high EB (which is = to Tier 1EUC in amount) is in the bag for you anyway, right?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have been so depressed... I haven't looked for a job as much as I should. When I was let go... I was mentally abused by my boss and I couldn't get out of bed for 2 months. Yes, I guess EB will be granted. I have to start praying hard.

You are so not alone. Mental abuses, rudeness and bullying in the workplace is epidemic, it seems. It is amazing how cruel one adult can be to another - the very behavior we teach our children not to be, it appears that 50% of the population can't help themselves.

However, that is no longer your problem. You are the only one that can help you. Get a system down to get out X resumes/day...use your online resources, use any Vocational Rehab sources. After getting your benefits, (EB), consider speaking to UI about the option of going back to school (PT or at night, so as not to interrupt the job searching) - you can get federal financial aid to cover the costs til you are done, viola, you may now have a whole new career. Let's face it, your UI will end soon, regardless of EB - you need to use this time to your advantage to put yourself in the best possible place when it does. I'd get some training, a degree, advanced degree, whatever, in an area that has growth - and will pay what you want. You can do this!.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You are amazing. Thank you.
No, I'm not. But I've been where you are, thankfully many years ago, a distanct memory, but the scars stay. It stinks. Perseverance will get you out. You may have seen this poem, Attitude, before. It is so very true, I wish I knew it as a kid :) Link. Nice that I could get it off the 'net.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi... It's me. I was reinstated for 20 more weeks... I guess it ends there is that correct? It won't continue after this 3 months? Life sucks right now... oops sorry. THINK POSITIVE right. Is it only 20 weeks then I'm done?

I believe so. But don't be too sure, as the rules are constantly changing, if you've noticed.

Get that next job - even if it is not your dream job. Or start a business :) Or get certified in something that interests you.

You can do this. Good luck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You are amazing. Wish you lived in NJ. We would be good friends. You're special and a really good person. I need more people like you in my life.
Not at all, but thanks for the kind words. You hang in there, you'll get through this is if you persevere, I am fairly sure. Try to enjoy this beautiful weather. Go for a walk :)
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney