Lawmoe, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  More than 19 years of experience in employment law.

I do not get along with my supervisor. I had a number of years

I do not get along with my supervisor. I had a number of years of mortgage experience before taking this job with a state agency three years ago. I helped my supervisor clean up her credit and buy a house. I even loaned her almsot 800.00 to accomplish this--thinking we were actual friends. After she had bought the house she frequently became abusive and gossiped about me. Feeling used, I complained to upper managment and a very rocky road ensued. She is always on my case and things just keep going from bad to worse. I am afraid I will be fired. I can provide proof of the loan but a lot of our interaction is "she said/she said" Is there any recourse should I get fired?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lawmoe replied 6 years ago.

I am afraid that there is nothing that protects individuals from difficult supervisors or employers and it is always wise to keep personal issues and employment issues separate for the precise reasons you relate.

Unfortunately, all employment starts out as employment "at will." That means you may be fired for any reason or no reason or you may quit for any reason or no reason. The only thing that changes the "at will" status is contract and statutes. If you do not have a contract for employment, you have no contractual protections.

The statutes or the law, only protects against employment decisions that are discriminatory in nature. To be discriminatory, the employer must treat you differently than others based on a suspect class as defined by statutes. They may treat you differently for other reasons not based on the suspect class. For example, they may treat you differently because they do not like you, how you dress or how you part your hair. None of those things involve a suspect class. Suspect classes under state and federal statutes differ slightly, but generally include things such as race, creed, color, religion, sex, age, disability, whistleblower etc..

If you were not treated differently based on such classifications, there is no action that can be taken. You may be terminated for anything that is no protected including the fact that you and your supervisor are having personal issues. Your only real option here would be to seek a change to a different department or a different shift where you would not be required to deal with your supervisor.

If you feel you were treated differently based on a suspect classification, you may file a complaint with the EEOC or Department of Human Rights in your state.

I am truly sorry to hear of your troubles.