Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

Can a security camera be placed in a doctors office in a room

Can a security camera be placed in a doctor's office in a room where the doctor examines the patient? (dr.-patient confidentiality)
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

This would be a very dangerous practice. While the employer can place security cameras around the premises, doing so in a restroom is prohibited and so it would be with an examination room. The employer is playing with fire here and is likely to be sued at some point by a patient unless the patient's are giving their consent in some way, which I doubt is occurring.

Please let me know if you need clarification by pressing the "Reply" button. If you press "Relist", I will not be notified that you have requested my assistance. .

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

Tina G

___________________________________________________________________________________

Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered/clarified your question. Positive feedback and a bonus are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. It is highly recommended that you seek representation by a local attorney for all legal matters. The state bar association can provide you with attorney referrals. Please remember that I cannot know what you know unless you tell me. There may be important factors that are relevant to your question that I am not aware of in your specific situation, but I will always do my best to be professional, courteous, and prompt.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is an eye examination room....no risrobing....I'm asking about the confidentiality of the doctor--patient relationship...
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
The answer would remain the same. Unless there is full disclosure to the patient that the actual exam rooms are being monitored, it would violate the confidentiality reasonable expected by the patient.

Good luck to you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The camera would be placed where it would be highly visible to the patient. Does this satisfy the "full disclosure" you are referring to?
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
No. You would also need to post it clearly that the premises, including the exam rooms, are being monitored by security cameras. That would satisfy the full disclosure.
Tina, Lawyer
Experience: JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.