Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

Should I file a complaint against my union or my employer

Should I file a complaint against my union or my employer? A union president did not help me. The next union president wrote a letter to the district, asking that I be moved up on the pay scale. No one will talk to be about it (union or district). I asked for an attorney but the union will not provide one. I contacted an attorney and she said she cannot represent me unless the union requests representation because she represents them. I recently received a letter about early retirement to avoid layoffs. I requested a meeting with the assistant superintendent of certificated personnel. He did not respond to either of my 2 requests.
You should do both.

First, you file an NLRB complaint against the union for failure to represent you.

Second, you file a complaint in state court for breach of your collective bargaining agreement, to the extent that you can show they have done so.