MDLaw
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney representing companies and individuals in employment law matters and litigation
16277701

I left my job because the stress was affecting my health.

Customer Question

I left my job because the stress was affecting my health. I felt I had not gotten the training I needed and asked for help each week. My boss provided limited help but made me feel like I would lose my job if I couldn't "get it". I worked every day for four months without a day off until out of exhaustion I simply collapsed at work. My blood pressure was very high, my hair started to fall out and I developed insomnia. I was working 14 hours every day. My regular doctor was in a different town 300 miles away and I couldn't make an appointment without missing work. It was implied that I should not miss work but through out the unemployment process my boss is saying I could have had the maintenance man work for me. (I am a property manager) I have spoken with two other ex employees who have told me they had more training, help, ect. My family has written letters to the appeal board to help. But now I need to know how can I get my unemployment?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  MDLaw replied 4 years ago.
What was the reason for your being denied unemployment benefits? Was it because you voluntarily quit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I voluntarily quit. I had 2 conversations with my boss where he asked me if I was going to quit. He made me feel like I was going to be fired if I didn't resign
Expert:  MDLaw replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately, if you quit a job, you are not eligible for unemployment benefits. There are only some minor exceptions - i.e. if you quit because you were being discriminated against based on age, gender, race, disability, religion, or national origin and had filed such a discrimination complaint while employed.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear but it's the general legal rule and my role here is to give you correct and accurate LEGAL information. When someone quits a job, they cannot get unemployment benefits.

Please let me know if this answers your question. If it does not, feel free to ask me for clarification. If it does answer your question, please remember to hit the ACCEPT button as that is the only way that we experts get compensated for taking the time to research and respond to your questions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I guess I needed to know how to approach the appeal's board in order to receive my unemployment. I know I quit and I listed the reason as my health condition but it was more than health. Lack of training, lack of support and the boss wasn't around to help me learn what I needed to get the job done. I felt like I was thrown to the wolves. My health deteriorated due to the stress. Should I have give a different reason, something more technical? I have gone back to school to go into another field because I just don't think I can face this, feeling the way I do.
Expert:  MDLaw replied 4 years ago.
You keep stating that you quit and that is exactly why they are denying you unemployment benefits. The only way that you can quit and get unemployment benefits is if you had evidence that you were being sexually harassed or discriminated against based on your membership in a protected class. Quitting due to health reasons or because you did not receive adequate training are not valid reasons for quitting and getting unemployment benefits. Unemployment benefits are given to those who are terminated through no cause of their own.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think this is not the information I am requesting and I am not making myself clear
Expert:  MDLaw replied 4 years ago.
You asked how to get your unemployment benefits which were denied to you because you quit your job. I have told you in several different ways that if you quit your job, you are not entitled to receive unemployment benefits.

Let me know what it is you are not understanding about my answer. Thanks!