Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

Can my employer force me to travel When I was hired, I was

Can my employer force me to travel? When I was hired, I was not told that this would be part of the job.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Yes, your employer can make travel a required part of your continued employment with the company. If you have no contract of employment that says the terms of your employment can not change, then they can make such changes "at will." Under the Texas law (and actually most states), they can demote you, give you more work, take some of your wages away and make you travel....for no reason at all. This comes as a shock to most people (and me when I started in employment law), but it is the situation if you have no binding employment contract concerning your terms. If you do, then you can sue for breach of that contract.