JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.

I have been approved as eligible for 26 weeks unemployment

Customer Question

I have been approved as eligible for 26 weeks unemployment in the State of Georgia until April 26 and went to claim my weekly benefits both online and on the phone today and I received a message stating that my 'PIN' has been suspended and that I should contact my local office. I will do that, but in the meantime, why would my 'PIN' be suspended?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

When were you first approved as eligible?

Edited by MI-Lawyer on 1/10/2010 at 5:17 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
October 26, 2009
And have you filed any claims during that time?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I have filed a claim each week since October 26 on Sunday and this is the first time I have received this message. Each time I filed, my claim was 'processed' and the weekly amount I was approved eligible for ($330 weekly) was direct deposited in my account.

Have you been reporting any earned wages during this time as well?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have not earned any wages. Here are the steps I take/questions I have to answer each week in order to claim UIB each week:

1. Log on to the Georgia Dept of Labor Web site
2. Enter my SS # XXXXX PIN
3. Answer the following questions:
1. Have I been able and actively looking for work? I always said 'YES'
2. Have I earned any wages? I have always said 'NO' - and I haven't earned any wages
Is this the first claim you will have filed in 2010?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, I claimed benefits last Sunday, January 3 and had no problems.

From the facts that you've described, I can only conclude that it's a technical, programming error on their end. Perhaps their servers went down in the off-hours or something along those lines.

The "technical" possibilities are endless. I know of another person earlier this week who tried to log on and the system told her that she had exhausted all of her time. Not true, she was still entitled to two more weeks. She got on the phone, spoke to a person, the corrections were made, and she timely received her direct deposit.

In your shoes, I certainly wouldn't read anything person into it. Stuff happens -- especially with computers.

Good luck and best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!