Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

In NC can an employer reduce your wages and have you continue

In NC can an employer reduce your wages and have you continue to do the same job part of the time if they have 'eliminated the position'?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the employer can give an employee advance notice that they will be reducing salary, even if it is for the same job even if they have eliminated the position. Unless there is a written contract to the contrary, he is an at will employee and the employer as long as they give advance notice can reduce an at will employee's salary. He can choose not to accept, but if the reduction in salary is not more than about 33%, he would likely not qualify for unemployment since (and there is no number set in the law, it is a reasonable reduction they look at) unemployment does not consider a salary reduction of generally anywhere up to 33% to be good cause for not remaining in employment unless that salary reduction would take someone below what they would make on their weekly unemployment benefit.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”