JBaxLaw, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Government and private sector employment law experience

How to find out if I am on a Do Not Hire List?

How do I find out if I am on a Do Not Hire List?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 6 years ago.
Are you referring to a list held by a specific employer?

Are you stating you believe there is a list or database shared by many employers?

Thank you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I believe there is a list or database shared by many employers
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 6 years ago.

If there is such a list, then it is a private list. Employers are generally free to share whether they would rehire a person, but tend not to provide any additional information due to fears of potential defamation suits. While small groups of employers may share such information, typically there is no "list." Employers generally rely on their human resource files for such information.

If one was to file suit for some related reason, they may be able to obtain such a list via discovery. This would be the only way to force the employer to provide such a list.

Thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have found many instances for a Retail theft database on the internet with many companies that provide service to retailers. They say that there are many retailers that put info out on this database and that they provide services for companies to check on future employees. What about that? You haven't heard about them?
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 6 years ago.

This would be part of a background check including criminal records. Of course, criminal background checks are common, but no list is needed for those records. A comprehensive background check of governmental criminal records would indicate charges and convictions. While there may be some "lists" used by limited numbers of employers, typically the employer will pay for a comprehensive criminal background check.

There are companies that compile lists of names for various purposes. For example, there are databases of individuals who return retail merchandise in an abusive frequent manner. This information is not typically used in the employment context, but it could be. These lists are not free. If you identified a specific list and specific company maintaining such a list, then you may be able to purchase a copy. The company would not be required to sell you a copy, but they may do so.

Thank you