Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

can an employer change my job description and duties without

can an employer change my job description and duties without my consent? they have added duties that equal doubling the work load and i feel ill-suited to my new position. is there any course of action for me to take other than quitting? thanks. -nick in virginia
Absent any written contract to the contrary, you are an at will employee which means the employer gets to make all the rules and as long as they are not taking action against you based upon your age/race/sex/disability. Thus, the employer can change an employee's job duties and job description as they see fit unless there is a contract that states they cannot. If you quit because of this, it is more likely than not that you would be denied benefits of unemployment because the courts do not consider this as good cause for you terminating your employment.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”