Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

IS IT OKAY FOR A MANAGER TO YELL AND SWEAR AT THEIR

IS IT OKAY FOR A MANAGER TO YELL AND SWEAR AT THEIR EMPLOYEES. ALSO THROW THINGS. TO REPAMAND AND EMBARRESS THAT EMPLOYEE IN FRONT OF FELLOW EMPLOYEES
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

A hostile work environment exists when an employee experiences workplace harassment and fears going to work because of the offensive, intimidating, or oppressive atmosphere generated by the harasser based on race, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or, in some jurisdictions, sexual orientation, political affiliation, citizenship status, marital status, or personal appearance.

A hostile work environment may also be defined as when a boss or manager begins to engage in a manner designed to make you quit in retaliation for your actions. Suppose you report safety violations at work, get injured at work, attempt to join a union, complain to upper level management about a problem at work, or act as a whistleblower in any respect. Then, the company's response is to do all manner of things to make you quit, like writing you up for work rules you didn't break, reducing your hours, scheduling you for hours that are in total conflict with what you can do, or reducing your salary. The company's reaction can be viewed as creating a hostile work environment, one that makes it impossible to work and is an attempt to make you quit so that the employer does not have to pay unemployment benefits.

You do have rights to sue for the manager's actions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I DONT UNDERSTAND THE" BASED ON" WORDING. IF THE MANAGER OR UPPER LEVEL PERSON DOES NOT GET ANSWERS THE WAY THEY WANT THEM OR IF THEY ARE JUST NOT HAVING A GOOD DAY THIS IS THE BEHAVIOR GIVEN. I HAVE ASKED NOT BE BE SPOKEN TO IN THIS WAY. THEY CONTINUED BY HAVING A MEETING WITH THE OTHER EMPLOYEES AND EMBARRASSING ME. I ENDED UP HAVING TO BE PUT ON MEDICATION AND BE OUT OF WORK WITH A DOCTORS NOTE. I WAS THAN FIRED.AS THEY WROTE IT," THE REASON FOR TERMINATION MAY INCLUDE FAILURE TO FOLLOW STORE POLICY AND PROCEDURES." THIS COMPANY DOES NOT PAY INTO UNEMPLOYMENT AS THEY ARE A NON PROFIT ORGANIZATION.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

"Based on" has to do with harassment or workplace hostitility because of one's race, sex, age, etc.

The second paragraph reflects what is going on with you. If you were terminated for complaining, you can also sue for retaliatory termination.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
IF BECAUSE I AM A REBORN CHRISTIAN THIS WOULD BE CONSIDED BASED ON MY RELIGON? OR DOES IT MEAN THEY HAD TO SAY SOMETHING ABOUT MY RELIGON?
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

The harassment does not have to be based on race, sex, religion, age or disability only.

You can also file a claim if you quit or are fired in retaliation for your actions (reporting their acts/complaining to management).

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I understand the harrassment in retaliation, which it was not. The actions were an everyday occurance. Than when my Supervisor had her meeting and embarrased me,I was not able to continue to work that day in the same manner as I have always worked, I was in tears for the rest of the day. Thats when my doctor had me out on a medical leave. I got fired during my medical leave. I guess what I'm getting confused about is, isn't it abusive to treat employees in this manner and is this legal for them to act and talk this way to employees. Or is there some kind of law to protect from being abused.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
There is no protection from being harassed and abused. You can sue the company and the individual employer for these actions.