Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

my boss is harrassing me at work. he is always checking to

my boss is harrassing me at work. he is always checking to see what i am doing and when he confronts me he keeps telling me i have a bad attitude. today he wanted me to come into his office and i told him i was advised by the union not to be alone with you. he told me i have to do as he says and said get in my office. i put my hand up and said stop. he said those gestures are whats getting you in trouble and that i was getting a discipline notice and i should call my union. i work for the post office and the union does not have alo of power, managers seem to do as they please. i want to file a eeo complaint against him because it seems he only picks on females; he doesnt do this to any male employees. however i do not have witnesses that will come forward because they are afraid of this guy because he is the postmaster and can make thier lives miserable. my question is if i file an eeo will this make my life worse or will i be protected under some law
Is the harassment based on your race, gender, age, nationality, religion or sexual? If not, what is the reason?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i believe it is based on being a female. he does not treat the males like this. my union rep tol me he has a history in other offices of treating the females badly
If based on gender, it is illegal and I will give you some options. You can of course report it to management and HR initially. Legally, there is other recourse too.

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 protects individuals against employment discrimination on the bases of race, gender, age, nationality or religion. It applies to employers with 15 or more employees.
Proving it is done by looking at pattern of conduct, document, witness statements, how other employees are treated, and the credibility of the employer and the complainant.
To file a complaint with the eeoc, see this link http://www.eeoc.gov/charge/overview_charge_filing.html
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my question is if i do file this complaint (i have been advised by the union to do so because the hr and other agencies do nothing) will i be protected or can he continue to make my life miserable. i have worked thier for 15 years and still do not have set hours. therefore he can make me come in early. leave for several hours and make me come back and wrk to 6 or 7 at night and the next day i will have to go in at 4am. i cannot quit because i need the money. if i file this complaint i am afraid he will give me the worst hours possible even though i have the most senority of the ptf clerks in the office. is there a law that will protect me if he does this or do i have to take what ever he dishes out. because once he knows i filed a complaint he is going to be furious
Legally, you would be protected. You would have a claim through the union, the eeoc, labor department and local counsel. Practically you may experience some backlash if he is not wise.