Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience

Can I be fired while I am out sick having cancer surgery. I

Can I be fired while I am out sick having cancer surgery. I have been working part time, hourly paid, for 5 years at a non profit. First my job was advertised, then changed to full time with another job added to it. I applied for this job but did not even get an interview. This person starts work on December 1st. I emailed and said I was able to return on December 1st. I have been called in on November 30th, I think to be fired. Do I have a case against them in the state of Georgia.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Unless your employer has 50+ employees and you have worked there at least 1250 hours in the last 12 consecutive months, you do not have any protection under the Family and Medical Leave Act and you can be fired if you are unable to go to work.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not yet been fired. I emailed that I could return to work on December 1st and have been summoned to the EO's office on November 30th. So I am able to work, always said I would be able to work and they gave my job to someone else. Is there really no recourse.
They can terminate someone, absent any contract to the contrary, for not being able to come to work and your only recourse is if the employer has an appeals process. If you can prove they are terminating you based upon your disability and not because of your inability to come to work (it is splitting hairs but there is a difference) then you have the possibility of a complaint to the EEOC for discrimination under the Americans with Disabilities Act and they would have to investigate before you could go to court on that.