Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

Can an employer abitrarily force employees to

Can an employer abitrarily force employees to travel/re-locate to a very distant location for a month's period of time? The job to date has never required any substantial travel.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 7 years ago.
Legally, the employer can require it. If it is a material change in employment, the employee can pursue unemployment benefits on that basis.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** To be a little clear, I work in NJ and the company expects a group to travel to British Columbia in succession. Several members of the group have familial obligations that make a months absence extremely difficlut. i.e I have a newborn baby during this time, our wives work, have other children at home etc. Is the company liable to at least return people home on weekends? As noted, it is travel to a foreign country and they expect us to go w/out a work visa as well....managerailly the situation is absurd but in your opinion, above the law?? For me the situation is prepsterous as there is no way I would leave a newborn and two other small children w/ a recovering wife.

It should cover all expenses relating to such travel.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I realize that. Thanks. My final re-ask is Can they mandate global travel for a month's time w/ no regard for home situation, suitability etc..? with no precedent for travel or area of job description requiring it??
Legally, the employer can so require but as noted has to cover expenses.