Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

how many hours can you legally work in a day

Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Under NM Statute 50-4-30 - Daily maximum hours of employment; exceptions.

A. No employee other than a fireman, law enforcement officer or farm or ranch hand whose duties require them to work longer hours, or employees primarily in a stand-by position, shall be required to work for any employer within the state more than sixteen hours in any one day of twenty-four hours except in emergency situations. B. Any person violating any of the provisions of this act [section] shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

If you are a restaurant employee, then NM Statute

50-4-13 Hours of employment; eating establishments.

Any person or persons, firm, association or corporation, owning any hotel, restaurant, cafe or eating house within this state, shall not be allowed to cause any male employee therein to labor more than ten hours in any twenty-four hours of any one day, nor more than seventy hours in any one week of seven days. The hours of labor may be so arraigned [arranged] so as to permit the employment of any male employee so engaged at any time so that they shall not work more than ten hours in any twenty-four hours of any one day, nor more than seventy hours in any one week of seven days.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i was told that you can work up to 20 hours in a day. i am a nurse and usually work 16 to 18 hours a day due to working 2 jobs at two different facilities owned by the same company
I am sorry I found no such statutes other than the two I cited above and I did not make them up.