Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Atty. 24+ years; Plain English - Discrimination, Fire/Hire, Non-Compete, etc.
10033880

My husband was recently denied unemployment benefits. He was

Customer Question

My husband was recently denied unemployment benefits. He was employed at Home Depot but due to budget cuts his position was eliminated. While he was employed at Home Depot he attended a informational/training session on working at Toys R Us in the evenings after his Home Depot shift. He was compensated for the 1 hr training session that he attended at Toys R Us. We decided that he would not be able to work both at Home Depot and Toys R Us due to family obligations. So he continued to work for Home Depot until he was laid off. Unemployment denied him benefits because of the 1 hr training session that he attended at Toys R Us. I would like to appeal the decision that was made. Do you think that us writing an appeal letter would help to overturn the decision?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

There can sometimes be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we're writing late in the evening, I may need to get some sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

Sometimes I'm unable to read your entire question until AFTER I write back to you. So, if I suggest something you already tried, it's because I couldn't see part of your original question. Just write back to me and let me know.

Answer: If it were me, I'd appeal. As part of the appeal, it would be helpful if your husband can show that he attempted to get a job at Toys R Us but wasn't hired. I think that's probably the main thing he'd need to demonstrate.

I'm happy to answer follow-up questions. If you have none, please

"ACCEPT" my answer

Ask for me by name next time you visit JustAnswer.com. I'll remember you!

Jane Doe Deer

Bonuses of even a few dollars are much appreciated and help support this site.